Open Position Banner
PhD student - Photonics for Digital Health (m/f/d)
Research & Development
- PhD student
Place of employment
What we offer:
Your tasks and responsibilities
- A major trend in Health Care Technology is to enable mobile Point-of-Care (PoC) diagnostic or personalized monitoring of health parameters. The integration of biochemical and photonic technologies is behind the most advanced, fast, portable diagnostic tools (e.g. lab-on-chip) available to the physician, who can deliver and send analytic results from distant PoC through a connected digital interface.
- AMS OSRAM is among the leading enterprises in the world offering a unique portfolio of photonic sensing, illumination and visualization products for life, mobility and healthcare. We are interested in developing further photonic applications for our digital health segment by offering a three years grant to obtain a PhD degree.
- The candidate is expected to evaluate the technological and market potential of infrared single photon counting detectors and/or integrated optics (IO) devices for diagnostic tools in health care.
- These two project guidelines aim from one side at understanding the diagnostic possibilities offered by the large penetration depth of infrared radiation in biological tissues, from the other side to develop IO devices to interrogate optically many microfluidic channels simultaneously.
- The candidate will investigate the existing literature, design photonic devices, develop simulation codes, setup experiments and validate sensor concepts.
- The work will be supported by the well-equipped R&D infrastructure of AMS OSRAM and by a network of academic and industrial collaborations.
- The project is expected to result in scientific publications and/or patent applications. Successful sensor prototypes will be finally selected for the development of a new product concept and its market potential investigated.
- AMS OSRAM offers a dynamic, creative and stimulating environment and an attractive contract including health care insurance and pension scheme.
Your education and experiences
- The candidate is expected to have completed successfully a master in Physics or Electronic Engineering.
- The candidate should demonstrate good communications skills both in written and spoken English.
- Fluency in at least a computer programming language is required, as well as analytical skills, a structured working habit and the capability to work independently and in a team.
- Previous knowledge of solid state physics and/or wave optics are an asset.
Set up Job Alert