Senior Staff Engineer
Research & Development
- Regular Fulltime
Place of employment
What we offer:
Your tasks and responsibilities
- AMS is a fast growth technology company with a strong customer base including Tier 1 players in consumer electronics and automotive industries across the globe. We are the world's leading technology company in the area of high power, high efficiency Vertical Cavity Surface Emitting Lasers (VCSELs) which is becoming the dominant technology of diode lasers for a wide range of highest volume consumer electronics applications.
- Our multinational team consists of renowned experts in the field of diode lasers and related complex optical products. Our goal is to combine micro-optics to the laser systems at wafer level to develop advanced optical components and subsystems for high volume applications.
- With this opening, we are looking for an experienced optics or laser scientist with significant background and experience in electromagnetics modelling of photonics devices, as well as fabrication processes for making nanostructured optical devices. Candidate should have strong background in numerical methods and programming, and experience with general electromagnetics solvers such as the finite-element-method (FEM) or the finite-difference-time-domain-method (FDTD).
- Experience in the design and fabrication of functional photonic devices by using metamaterial is desirable. Experience with complex optical subsystems design and/or physics of semicondutors would be a plus. Advanced science or engineering degree in physics, optical, material or mechanical engineering is required.
- The new team member will participate in experimental and theoretical work on novel photonics devices, interfacing with other engineering areas such as mechanical teams and manufacturing partners as well as customers in the development of exciting new leading edge technology. The responsibilities and tasks include:
- • Build electromagnetic/wave-based model for analyzing integrated VCSEL (Vertical Cavity Surface Emitting Laser) + micro/nano optics. • Write custom code for numerical electromagnetics solvers such as the finite-element-method (FEM) and the finite-difference-time-domain-method (FDTD). • Design integrated micro-optics such as subwavelength grating, hologram and metalens with VCSEL for high volume applications
- • Perform FEM and FDTD numerical simulations to optimize the structure and material of integrated micro-optics with VCSEL in terms of mechanical strength and optical performance. • Develop fabrication process using nanofabrication techniques and build prototypes of integrated micro-optics with VCSEL. • Set up custom test system and conduct measurments to fully characterize the behavior of various designed and built devices.
- • Support sales and interface with customers. • Interact with different internal engineering groups such as mechanical design, device processing and testing, etc., as well as external resouces. • Work closely with production operation and quality teams for transferring the design and process to high volume manufacturing.
Your education and experiences
- Advanced science or engineering degree in physics, optical, material or mechanical engineering is required. A post MS or post PhD experience of at least 5 years would be expected for this position.
- A qualified candidate for this position is also expected to have good knowledge and hands-on experience with various laser and optical characterization techniques. Strong analytical ability, experimental and theoretical background, excellent communication skills as well as ability to be focused in high pressure environment and deliver consistent results are the key characteristics for a candidate.