Synopsys, Inc. (Nasdaq:SNPS) is the world leader in semiconductor design software and also develops software that companies use to design systems-on-chips (SoCs) and electronic systems. The company sells its products to semiconductor, computer, communications, consumer electronics, aerospace and other companies that develop electronic products."
Synopsys, Inc. (Nasdaq:SNPS) is the world leader in semiconductor design software and also develops software that companies use to design systems-on-chips (SoCs) and electronic systems. The company sells its products to semiconductor, computer, communications, consumer electronics, aerospace and other companies that develop electronic products.
- Company Founded: 1986
- Revenue for Fiscal Year 2003: $1.18 billion *
- Pro Forma Earnings per share for FY 2003: $1.59* (post 2-for-1 stock split basis)
- Employees for Fiscal Year 2003: 4,408 **
- Company Headquarters: 700 East Middlefield Rd.
- Mountain View, California 94043-4033 U.S.A.
Locations: More than 60* sales, support and R&D offices worldwide in
North America, Europe, Japan, the Pacific Rim and Israel
- Contact: +1 (650) 584-5000, www.synopsys.com
- Dr. Aart J. de Geus, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer
- Dr. Chi-Foon Chan, President and Chief Operating Officer
- Vicki Andrews, Senior Vice President, Worldwide Sales
- Dr. Raul Camposano, Senior Vice President and Chief Technical Officer
- John Chilton, Senior Vice President and General Manager, Solutions Group
- Dr. Antun Domic, Senior Vice President and General Manager, Implementation Group
- Manoj Gandhi, Senior Vice President and General Manager, Verification Group
- Deirdre Hanford, Senior Vice President, Worldwide Application Services
- Jan Collinson, Senior Vice President, Human Resources and Facilities
- Sanjiv Kaul, Senior Vice President, New Ventures Group
- Steve Shevick, Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer
Synopsys' full suite of best-in-class tools enables designers to create and verify complex IC (integrated circuit), ASIC (application-specific IC), FPGA (field-programmable gate array) and SoC designs from concept to silicon. Synopsys provides system-level to silicon-level verification, a complete front-to-back design and test environment, design reuse technology, and professional services to help its customers get their silicon working quickly and accurately. Synopsys' products improve its customers' designs in virtually every metric, including performance, complexity, silicon area, cost, power consumption and time-to-market.
*Fiscal Year 2003 (ended October 31, 2003)
** Total employees worldwide as reported for Q4 FY 2003
Synopsys provides electronic design automation (EDA) software and services used to design complex integrated circuits (ICs), field-programmable gate arrays (FPGAs) and systems-on-chips (SoCs) for the global semiconductor and electronics industries. Synopsys gives its customers a competitive edge in bringing the best products to market quickly with minimal risk. From high-level synthesis to placed gates, Synopsys provides solutions to the most difficult challenges that confront engineers who are pushing electronic design to the limit. Synopsys technology is in the DNA of every important chip in the world.
In little more than 15 years, Synopsys has grown from a small one-product start-up to a diverse company that is now the technology leader in IC designs tools, with a complete solution from concept to silicon. The company was founded in 1986 by Dr. Aart J. de Geus and a team of engineers from General Electric's Microelectronics Center in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina. First established as "Optimal Solutions," Synopsys was chartered to develop and market the synthesis technology developed by the team at General Electric. Synopsys proceeded to pioneer the commercial application of logic synthesis that has since been adopted by virtually every major electronics company in the world.
Synopsys' stock trades on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange under the symbol "SNPS."
Results for the latest twelve months* are as follows:
- Revenue: $1.18* billion
Pro Forma Earnings per Share: $1.59* (post 2-for-1 stock split basis)
* FY 2003 (ended October 31, 2003)
Mergers and Acquisitions
Throughout its history, Synopsys has accelerated its technology strategy by adding technology gained from mergers and acquisitions to Synopsys' internally developed products. On March 3rd, 2003, Synopsys acquired Numerical Technologies, Inc. the world's leading provider of sub-wavelength lithography technology. The merger will enable Synopsys to create design for manufacturing solutions to speed production of advanced, sub-wavelength ICs and improve yield by transparently embedding mask and lithography requirements into the EDA flow.
Products and Technology
Synopsys products span the entire design flow, allowing its customers to use integrated best-in-class technology from design specification to silicon fabrication. Synopsys primarily develops and supports products based on two major platforms, the Galaxy(tm) Design Platform and Synopsys' Discovery(tm) Verification Platform. These platforms provide customers with an integrated suite of tools for advanced IC design and verification.
Synopsys solutions include
- System Creation
- System Verification and Analysis
- Design Planning
- Physical Synthesis
- Design for Manufacturing
- Design for Verification
- Test Automation
- Deep Submicron, Signal and Layout Integrity
- Intellectual Property and Design Reuse Technology
- Standard and Custom Block Design
- Chip Assembly
- Final Verification
- Fabrication and Packaging
- Technology CAD
Synopsys Professional Services contributes directly to the success of leading electronics firms worldwide by delivering the technology, methodology and expertise to solve their most demanding SoC development challenges. Synopsys' comprehensive portfolio of services covers all critical phases of the SoC development process, as well as systems development in wireless and broadband applications. Leading-edge development demands close collaboration, and customers are offered a variety of engagement models, from methodology-driven project assistance to full turnkey development, to best fit their business and project needs.